February theme: Explore personal and artistic freedom in black history across our collection and through various forms of creative self-expression done free(dom)style.
• Engage in freestyle artmaking projects referencing our collection.
• Learn the art of freestyle dancing through various moves originating from black culture from the Harlem Renaissance era—depicted in our collection—to hip-hop.
• Scratch it up on the 1s and 2s as you learn how to freestyle it like a true DJ. Plus, contribute to a freestyle mixtape project inspired by Barbara Chase-Riboud’s Malcolm X #2.
• Contribute to a freestyle rap in a master class led by hip-hop pioneers.
• Enjoy in-gallery pop-up freestyle performances with a musician, jazz vocal scatter, and beatboxer.