March Theme: Like a Goddess
Celebrate Women’s History Month by engaging in activities inspired by women and goddesses found within our reinstalled gallery, Art of the Ancient Mediterranean.
- Experience contemporary storytelling in a musical improv performance and workshop referencing famous women of the Ancient Mediterranean.
- Learn about Roman Imperial Period hairstyling—as seen in Portrait Bust of a Woman—during an interactive presentation by hair archeologist, Janet Stephens. Then practice the techniques on a partner or mannequin.
- Honor the special woman in your life in an artmaking project utilizing 3D printing, vessels, and the visual vocabulary of glyphs created by visual artist, Cheryl R. Riley.
- Achieve immortality—like the ancient Romans as demonstrated by Portrait Bust of a Woman—by life casting your face, hands, or feet with artist, Jeanine Alfieri.
- Program also includes gallery tours; planetarium shows, including Skywatchers of Africa; and more.