(Doors open at 5pm for gallery viewing.)
Free your mind in a creative evening inspired by the social justice campaign, For Freedoms.
• Liberate yourself on the dancefloor with a dance party featuring DJ Fauzi.
• Get motivated to create change by the “For Freedoms Show” featuring live beatbox and soul music, spoken word by Danny Simmons, and a special keynote presentation.
• A first-ever planetarium screening by SQAD NWK.
• Civic-minded “lawn sign” art-making led by visual artists, Jerry Gant (Gantalism) and Linda Street (Pink Dragon).
• Stay woke with our socially conscious guided tours.
• Explore activism related resources within your community in the For Freedoms Activation Zone.
For Freedoms started in 2016 as a platform for civic engagement, discourse, and direct action for artists in the United States. Inspired by Norman Rockwell’s 1943 paintings of the four universal freedoms articulated by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1941 — freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear — For Freedoms seeks to use art to deepen public discussions of civic issues and core values, and to clarify that citizenship in American society is deepened by participation, not by ideology. For Freedoms is part of a rich history of artists employing means of mass communication to provoke political discourse. For Freedoms believes art, and artists, play an important role in galvanizing our society towards a more representative and transparent government. For Freedoms was awarded the 2017 ICP Infinity Award for New Media and Online Platform.
About Late Thursdays
Reinvent your Thursday evenings with the Newark Museum’s Late Thursdays. Relax after hours with creatively inspired social evenings that offer a fresh take on the Museum’s captivating collections, through a dynamic mix of music, food, drinks, art, and entertainment. Please note: Late Thursdays are designed for adult audiences.
Each evening focuses on a different topic or theme, generating a unique experience every time.
If you haven't already, sign up for our monthly emails and receive information about all our upcoming programs. Click here to sign up today.