Now On View
The Walter Scott Lenox Pavilion, 1st-floor, North Wing
This installation highlights the Museum’s century-old commitment to collecting and displaying modern ceramics and glass as art. Art ceramics purchased between 1911 and 1926 will be spotlighted, along with three examples of art glass from the 1920s. In 1910 the Museum mounted an exhibition called Modern American Pottery, and founded its decorative arts collection with examples from this display. In the 1920s, with the completion of the new museum building, more modern ceramics were purchased. The Museum started buying modern glass in 1912, and added major examples purchased from a 1929 exhibition at Bamberger’s Department Store called “International Ceramics and Glass” that was echoed by an installation at the Museum.